3.10.2011

#3 Greatest Director

This is the Zodiac speaking...
I told you I'd be back in it today. I want to apologize for the shoddy work I did on my post earlier, I tell you I've been considering deleting it and just skipping over Welles, but my friend from Vietnam hasn't checked in to read it and I don't want him to think I can't count, what he thinks means so much to me. Now I'm just assuming that it is a man, could be a woman, maybe a sexy woman, who wants to give me kisses all over, I think I should stop there. I'm about to talk about the holocaust, this is not the time nor the place to be hitting on some hot(?) Vietnamese chick(?) who wants me(?).

#3 Steven Spielberg
Do I even need to introduce you to the man that is Spielberg? Some might think he is the third greatest director ever, to which I would agree. The man directed Hook for fucks sake. Hook, the one with Robin Williams as a grown up Peter Pan going "fuh fuh fuh, aint I funny, granny voice" and Dustin Hoffman in his greatest role since Marathon Man. "Rufio, Rufio, Ru-Fi-OOOOOO!" cause he could skateboard and such. Anybody? Maybe I wasted my childhood. Or maybe it's like I always say, Robin Williams isn't funny. I guess it would be remiss of me not to mention Jaws, Jurassic Park, Saving Private Ryan, Raiders of the Lost Arc, E.T., and Munich. All good films. He made some shit to, like Always, 1941, and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. If you've been reading my list you should have noticed that with every director there is one film that really stands out for me. Here is where we enter into our holocaust reference that I referred to earlier, Schindler's List. Over all a tale of hope for the hopeless, and overcoming ingrained racial stereotypes to see humanity for what it is, human. No one scene really carries the emotional struggle represented throughout the film but one collection shows how powerful the film maker can be with mere pictures. There is a girl, she stands out in this black and white movie namely because she wears a bright red coat. Throughout the film she is seen, never introduced, just an extra in the back ground of establishing shots. We see her journey through the ghettos, to the internment camp, and her final destination. I was amazed at the power to feel for a nameless, faceless, girl who is nothing more to the film than an extra. The Girl in the red coat made me cry, I felt for her on a level that I haven't felt for characters whose fucked up journey I witnessed for two hours. That, my friends, is why he is number three.
Watch this: Schindler's List
Skip This: any Indiana Jones after Temple of Doom

1 comment:

Nman said...

And GOONIES!!!!!!